Hearing loss can be scary for your child, and worrisome for you. Accordingly, you need to know the facts about this condition and how your pediatrician can help.Here at Children’s Ear, Nose, Throat & Allergy, our pediatricians and audiologists offer a full range of pediatric services, including hearing screenings and hearing loss treatment. With convenient office locations in Orlando and Maitland, FL, we are dedicated to helping your child hear better—read on to learn more!
What causes childhood hearing loss?
Hearing loss in children can be caused by a number of factors including congenital medical conditions, infection during pregnancy, birth complications, middle ear infections, and infectious diseases including meningitis or mumps. Hearing loss can also be caused by environmental factors, most notably excessive, prolonged noise.
How can I tell if my baby or young child has hearing loss?
The CDC describes some of the most common signs and symptoms of childhood hearing loss, including:
- Not turning toward sounds at 6 months old
- Not startling when exposed to a loud noise
- Not saying words at 1 year old
- Hearing only a few sounds
- Not responding to being called by name
- Delayed or unclear speech
- Inability to follow directions
- Turning up the volume on the television too high
What should I do if I think my child has hearing loss?
The first step is a hearing screening, typically performed by an audiologist. Once the degree of hearing loss is established, treatment can be customized to help your child hear better.
What kinds of treatment are there for hearing loss?
- State-of-the-art hearing aids, cochlear implants, and other hearing devices
- Medications to treat any underlying infection causing the hearing loss
- Surgical treatment to correct any structural abnormalities in the ear
- Communication and support counseling for your child, you, and your family
Concerned? Give us a call
To find out more about signs, symptoms, and treatment of childhood hearing loss, call the pediatricians and audiologists at Children’s Ear, Nose, Throat & Allergy, with offices in Orlando and Maitland, FL. Dial (407) 253-1000 today to help your child hear better!